www.coach-carrie.com

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Gut Check Time




 "At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.." - Lao Tsu

If the above statement is true, then why do we spend so much time and money trying to figure out who we are and what we want?  

Okay, that is a loaded question, and I could spend days answering it.  But, I won't.  I WILL suggest that we are TAUGHT to doubt ourselves at a very young age by well intentioned parents and teachers.  I read an example today about a mom who insisted that her children wear their coats outside to jump on the trampoline.  When her children took off the jackets because they were sweating while they bounced, the mother threatened the children saying that they must wear their jackets or they would have to go inside.  This mother meant well.  She just didn't want her children to be cold.  However, by insisting that they wear their jackets despite the feedback that their bodies were giving them, she taught her children not to trust their inner wisdom. She taught them that their inner nudges aren't valid.

Our public school system does a fantastic job of killing the intuition and inner wisdom of children.  I see this happening with my 6 year old.  She is constantly asking for permission... for everything!  She no longer trusts her gut, but rather looks for external validation.  "Mommy, can I color this horse pink?"  Before sarting school, she would have just colored it and been satisfied with herself.  Now she asks if it is okay and then asks me if I like it. She can't seem to find satisfaction in her work without validation. 

Luckily, I am an enlightened parent, and I tend to counter her questions with questions... ensuring that she remember to check in with her gut and learn to trust and test her own intuition.  But what about you and me?  Are we any different?

We spend so much of our lives researching, consulting the experts, and searching for the right answers. But how many of us spend time each day to check in with our intuition?  We all have it. Take time today to intentionally check in with yourself.  Sit quietly and close your eyes.  Take a few deep breaths, relax, and ask yourself , "What do I need to know today?"  Then wait.  Just wait and breathe. 

Got an important decision to make?  Stop weighing the facts and just sit with it for a day or two.  Your gut may very well supply the answers you need. 

If you'd like to get more in touch with your own inner wisdom and voice, I encourage you to join my 50 Day Shrink While You Grow Challenge.   For details, check: http://www.coach-carrie.com/Services.html

No comments:

Post a Comment